Canada vs. USA 2-0 (0-0)

Date: 25 April
Walter Byron
Allan Woodman
Konrad Johannesson
Robert Benson
Magnus Goodman
Frank Frederickson
Haldor Halderson
Referee: Alfred de Rauch (FRA)

Goal keeper:
Raymond Bonney
Frank Goheen
Leon Tuck
Edward Fitzgerald
Joseph McCormick (C)
Herbert Drury
Anthony Conroy

1-0 Fredrickson
2-0 Johannesson

Everyone agreed that the moral final was played between Canada and the United States. In front of sold-out stands, where there were somewhat more American supporters than Canadian, the best game yet seen in Europe was played. It is also said that this was the first international match between the two neighboring countries. The Swedish reporters present had never seen anything like it, and they exceeded one another in lyrical descriptions of what they had witnessed.

We leave the word to Oscar Söderlund of the Stockholms-Tidningen:

"I have never seen the like of this sports competition. Every single player on the rink was a perfect acrobat on the skates, skated at tremendous speed without regard to himself or anyone else, jumped over sticks and players with ease and grace, turned sharply with perfect ease and without losing speed, and skated backwards just as easily as forwards. And during all this, the puck was held down on the ice and was dribbled forwards by means of short shoves of the stick. In bandy you often have to play the ball in the air to pass it, but here the puck was kept gliding on the ice without interruption, even though the space for each player was less than a third of that in bandy.

How the players were able to rush forward at such high speed and thread their way through the attacking opponents together with the long stick and puck on this insignificant space, where the distance between team mates and opponents hardly ever reached one metre, is quite beyond comprehension and had to be seen to be believed. In soccer and bandy you say that there can be much pressure on a player, but the worst situation in these games is as sitting in a comfortable armchair compared to what these players did to one another.

The players attacked each other with a roughness that would have sent an ordinary bandy player far into the next week, and you might possibly have a notion of what it was all about when the small Canadian defender Johannesson at one time was pushed headlong into the barrier board, so that it was cracked. However, he happily continued to play on, as if nothing had happened.

The small puck was moved at an extraordinary speed around the rink at all directions, so that the spectators almost became giddy, and the players fought for it like seagulls, that flutter about after bread crusts from a boat. In the same daring manner the players dived for the puck and turned away in a circle if anyone else had retrieved it, so as to glide round and try to get into a better position for capturing the coveted thing.

And there were shots at goal! At the worst speed the players had such extraordinary control that they confidently could send the puck towards the goal so hard that you could not follow it with your eyes. When you previously had seen the goalkeepers in their thick leg-pads which almost covered half of the goal, you had imagined that they only had to stand still to deal with the shots.

But in this game you could see that there really is such a thing as goalkeeping. Because not one of the shots were directed towards the goalkeeper, but instead aimed at the bottom comers of the goal, preferably a few decimetres above the ice. The goalkeepers had to dart about like mad, and be active all the time, sometimes using their feet and sometimes their stick, and they had an inconceivable ability to be in the right position to fend off the ball, even before the spectators had had time to realize there had been a shot. A few times the Canadian goalkeeper had to stop the puck with his hand, and despite his thick gloves his fingers were smashed until they bled. not soft."

The game was rough and the French referee, who was not used to this kind of ice hockey, found it hard to keep up. The French coach, Garon, had officially been nominated referee. This might seem to have been a good choice, a Canadian who was an officer in the American Red Cross. Both of the teams accepted him, but the Canadians reserved the right to have him replaced if he did not do well. Under such circumstances he did not want to act as referee, so de Rauch was chosen instead.

The American team, dressed in white trousers and black sweaters with the American flag shield on the chest, based their game on individual skills. Most of the time it was Drury or Conroy who tried to break through. Canada, who played in fawn-coloured trousers and yellow sweaters with a horizontal broad black stripe with a red maple leaf, had, however, the best team work, which in the long run turned out to be victorious. During the first half the teams were even. Due to exellent goal keeping from both Wally Byron and Ray Bonney, the result was 0-0.

In the second half the game became even faster. To begin with, the Americans managed to get a grip of the game when the Canadian captain, Frederickson, was sent off. Above all, it was the right wing Joe McCormick who managed to get through. But then Canada took over. By effective back-checking the American rushes were stopped early, which forced them to shoot from a long distance. Instead the Canadian forward line started to dominate by means of good combinations, well supported by the rover Woodman. It did not take long before the first goal. Frank Frederickson managed to dribble the puck across the entire rink. His shot was saved by Byron, but Frederickson succeeded in getting the rebound in behind the goalie.

The United States had not surrendered. Joe McCormick had a good chance but missed. Shortly thereafter he and Frederickson were sent to the penalty box for five minutes each. This was when Canada decided the day. After an excellent combination between Goodman and Halderson, the puck went to the defender Johannesson. He was attacked hard at the same time as the puck was placed on edge. With a swing shot, at the same time as he fell, he succeeded in scoring - 2-0. After this the Canadian defense played hard, fast and safely. The United States did not manage to get any serious chances to score, so 2-0 turned out to be the final result. After the signal there was a major scuffle, not because the players were angry with each other, but for the puck to bring home as a souvenir. In this fight the United States were victorious!