On their way to Antwerp


Eight Players to Make Trip in Quest of World's Hockey Honors

TORONTO April 1st, 1920- The Canadian Olympic hockey team, Falcons, of Winnipeg, will leave Toronto tonight for St. John. N.B. whence they will sail on Saturday on the Melita for Liverpool, on their way to Antwerp, Belgium to play for the world's hockey championship, April 20-30. They are scheduled to reach Antwerp about April 14th. The party will include the following: W.A. Hewitt, Canadian Olympic representative; H. Axford, manager; W. Fridfinnson, W. Byron, H. Halderson, F. Frederickson, A. Woodman, G. Sigurson, trainer; C. Johanneson, I. J. Benson, C. Fridfinnson, M. C. Goodman.
   The players of the Canadian team are in good condition and they will not play any more hockey until they arrive in Antwerp. The city of Winnipeg has voted the sum of $500 to help finance the players on their trip, and a message was received Wednesday from Winnipeg that the Manitoba Government had voted $2,000 for the same purpose. The O.H.A. has also made a handsome contribution to the fund. The trip otherwise will be financed by the receipts from the Allan Cup matches, which will be turned over by the trustees to the Canadian Olympic Committee.

All of a sudden the Falcons, the team that nobody wanted to play against, are now the "Canadian Olympic hockey team"!   Quite a change in about 6 months.

After the Falcons overwhelmed Toronto Varsity 11 goals to 5 in 2 games, the steamship schedules did not allow them time to return to Winnipeg before going to Europe. So, off they went from Toronto in the new clothes which they bought with some of the money donated by the City of Winnipeg and the Province of Manitoba. After all, none of the players were wealthy and couldn't afford to buy a complete new set of clothes.

They certainly weren't NHL superstars, but amateur players in the true sense of those words. Some of the team members had even taken unpaid time off from work to go to Antwerp and their families would have had to cope while they were away. Perhaps in the first week in April the St. Lawrence at Montreal might still be frozen, or at least ice-clogged. That could be why they had to go by train as far as St. John, New Brunswick to get to an ice-free port. W. A. Hewitt was the father of Foster Hewitt of 'Hockey Night in Canada' radio fame.
Return to index